The other day I “did something” that resulted in my Files directory listings being displayed in a completely wrong sort order. Instead of sorting my files and folders alphabetically and according to name as it has always done in the past, Dreamweaver suddenly began displaying everything according to most-recently modified or something similarly confusing. At the time, I had no idea what I had clicked or changed to change the sort order, but I knew I couldn’t work with my files all chaotic like that.
After searching Google for a solution, I gave up. I either wasn’t able to clarify my search query or else information on my particular version of Dreamweaver is quickly disappearing from the Web. In either case, I had no choice but to press on and begin learning how to adapt to a virtually random file arrangement. After a week or so of fighting it, I finally decided it was time to either fix the issue or move on to a new FTP/file-management/file-editing program (which is pretty much all I use DW for anyway). After another go, I still couldn’t locate anything helpful on the topic via Google, so I turned to Twitter instead. Several tweets later, the solution was graciously provided by the always helpful Marty Martin.
The thing that killed me was the utter ease and obviousness of the solution. Seriously, you will laugh when hear how easy it is to re-sort your Dreamweaver files: switch to the double-pane view for your local/remote files by clicking on the “expand/collapse” button and then click any column’s heading to sort accordingly. That’s all there is to it. I feel like a ham for not figuring this out myself — especially after having used good ol’ Dreamweaver for over five years now. I guess there’s always something new to learn, especially with software.