I am getting so old that I need to make recipes of my design stunts so I don’t have to relearn them from scratch every time. Sad, but so are a lot of things..
In any case, here is the basic procedure for creating the transparent panels used in my current (Quintessential) design:
- Open main design template
- Verify proper widths via existing images
- Create guides according to desired width(s)
- Create a rounded-corner vector shape of 10-pixel radius
- Rasterize vector shape
- Set outer-glow layer style (normal, 33, 3, 7)
- Create new empty layer and merge with panel layer
- Magic-wand select panel area at 1%, no anti-aliasing
- Add layer mask to reveal all
- Ctrl+Gradient tool from panel top to desired fade
- Duplicate layer as new document
- Crop and match desired size
From there, it should be self-explanatory. If not, perhaps it’s time to pursue an alternate line of employment..